Best Holidays Capital Forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jamaican Farmers
rzashida Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:30:00 AM(UTC)
rzashida

Groups: Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have several friends who have talked about the many exotic fruit and spices that grow in Jamaica. Since, I study exotic plants and rare heirlooms I was wondering if it is easy to find a small farmer to interview about how they grow their plants and the variety of species. Are there any tourist attractions that specialize in agriculture?
OscarPelam Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:00:43 PM(UTC)
OscarPelam

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users
Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
rzashida wrote:
I have several friends who have talked about the many exotic fruit and spices that grow in Jamaica. Since, I study exotic plants and rare heirlooms I was wondering if it is easy to find a small farmer to interview about how they grow their plants and the variety of species. Are there any tourist attractions that specialize in agriculture?

You might want to start here at:
http://www.croydonplantation.com/

and see if you can find related tours which visit plantations and farms on the interior of the island.

I have to confess I am not a huge fan of Jamaica. Every time I was there I was bothered nonstop by the people asking me to buy things or take tours or for money or tips.

I guess if you were on a tour like the one above, you would be spared a lot of that tourist harassment.

For me, Jamaica was the worst in terms of constantly being asked to buy things. For that reason alone I have no desire to go back to that island.
Carrie Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:21:15 PM(UTC)
Carrie

Woman

OscarPelam wrote:
rzashida wrote:

and see if you can find related tours which visit plantations and farms on the interior of the island.

I have to confess I am not a huge fan of Jamaica. Every time I was there I was bothered nonstop by the people asking me to buy things or take tours or for money or tips.

I guess if you were on a tour like the one above, you would be spared a lot of that tourist harassment.

For me, Jamaica was the worst in terms of constantly being asked to buy things. For that reason alone I have no desire to go back to that island.

I agree Oscar. Jamaica was very unnerving for me. Luckily I visited the island while on a cruise and we had a cruise handler who helped keep most of the people away. However, some of the people were incredibly aggressive and would grab at you to try and get you to listen to their "deals".

I will admit I cut my shore time short on Jamaica for the non-stop pestering.
Carrie Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:24:14 PM(UTC)
Carrie

Woman

PS. What other islands did you find where the tourist pestering was out of control?

I found the same behavior on Haitii when I was there - years before the disaster struck.

In addition, Grenada had a lot of pestering and parts of the Bahamas.

rzashida Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 6:28:55 AM(UTC)
rzashida

OscarPelam wrote:
rzashida wrote:

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted. I would love to see sugar cane plantations, coffee farms, waterfalls and fruit trees. I will keep that in mind about the constant harassment from the locals. I probably would blend right in I have dark skin and dreadlocks so they probably would think I am a local.
countrygal Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:56:52 AM(UTC)
countrygal

I would think this would be possible. After all, agriculture is the critical industry in that area. Maybe you could also check out Denbigh agriculture show. I think you will learn a lot if you ever take a trip to that area.
rzashida Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 5:58:35 AM(UTC)
rzashida

Denbigh Agriculture sounds like something I would be into, I love fresh food. Next November is the next Show so I will have enough time to plan out my trip. Thank you for the information I would have never thought of that.
NewHeiren Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 6:05:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)
This seems rather interesting. There is only a certain plant that I hear about whenever Jamaican agriculture is discussed, but the island's agriculture industry must offer much more.
costin Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:25:31 PM(UTC)
costin

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
In Europe you will find plenty of touristic locations promoting too agricultural objectives, as those mentioned by you
There are vineyards, where wine festivals are organized. There are ecological farms inviting visitors to stay for few days and eat exclusively eco-dishes. At the seaside, there are small villages where tourists can learn how to cook a delicious fish and even how to fish it
rzashida Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 1:05:10 PM(UTC)
rzashida

Costin that sounds great, I will try to tour Europe one day. Right now my goal is to visit the islands. It seems a little more realistic to my wallet right now. In the future I would love to check out the vineyards of France or Italy , and a variety of country farms in Europe.
costin Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, December 12, 2014 6:16:12 PM(UTC)
costin

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
rzashida wrote:
Costin that sounds great, I will try to tour Europe one day. Right now my goal is to visit the islands. It seems a little more realistic to my wallet right now. In the future I would love to check out the vineyards of France or Italy , and a variety of country farms in Europe.

Waiting for you in EuropeSmile
If book something in March-April or October-November, you will definitely get the most affordable costs, since it`s out of season
Italy is somehow cheaper than France, but it lacks the fabulous vineyards that you can admire in France. On the other hand, Italy will amaze you with its traces of ancient culture