Best Holidays Capital Forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tourists robbed in New Zealand
Klix Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:07:27 AM(UTC)
Klix

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you're thinking of visiting New Zealand, especially in Paihia, and you're planning to sleep in your car. I suggest you don't, because there is number of tourists that have been robbed at knifepoint while they're sleeping in their cars, some were even attacked and lost their cars too. There are robbers in every country, but since this car robbery happened more than once, robbers know what the tourists want to do and they're waiting for them, so just be careful while you're out there.
1 user thanked Klix for this useful post.
Carrie on 5/22/2014(UTC)
Sally01 Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:10:27 AM(UTC)
Sally01

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
This is terrible, somehow you wouldn't think it of a country like New Zealand, but I guess like you said everywhere there is a crime. It's a real shame, camping near a skate park is never a great idea, "hoodie central" comes to mind.
NewHeiren Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:13:16 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I would not thing of things like this happening in New Zealand either, but it seems that the state of the world is becoming more desperate, greedy, and careless. We must also remember that there are certain immigrant groups of ethnic groups in New Zealand that are on the lower end of economics, and thus more likely to resort to crime to survive.

As always, protect yourselves at all times.
Alexander Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:41:57 AM(UTC)
Alexander

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have seen a news report on TV. Those tourists who were robbed were backpackers and they slept in their cars.
This sort of crime can happen anywhere around the world.

To be a backpacker has never been a safe way to travel, but may be it is a bit less risky than hitchhiking. If you are a backpacker, then you have to take extra caution and use common sense.
If you choose to sleep in a car, then go to some safe place like camping site or caravan park, park your car there and sleep.

Despite these news, New Zealand is a very safe destination to visit, and crime rate in New Zealand is significantly lower than in many other western countries like USA, UK, Canada.
traveler90 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 1:00:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I think this should not be seen as a threat for tourists because it is a common thing. Sleeping in the car at night is actually dangerous by itself and could happen anywhere in the world, so avoiding New Zealand is not the answer.
CMCruiser Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:48:41 PM(UTC)
CMCruiser

Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I wonder why people wouldn't think there is crime in New Zealand?

I think anywhere you have people there is crime. Perhaps people have a too romanticized image of New Zealand and think everyone is friendly and kind all the time.

It is really unfortunate that these people were robbed and threatened. Sleeping in your car at the side of the road seems a bit dangerous anywhere.
maltesers Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:40:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the heads up, at first glance, New Zealand seems to be a very peaceful place, but of course that's just the general impression of the place. We really have to be on guard with our valuables all the time especially in public, even if we are sleeping inside our own cars.
Carrie Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:17:04 AM(UTC)
Carrie

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users
Woman

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Klix wrote:
If you're thinking of visiting New Zealand, especially in Paihia, and you're planning to sleep in your car. I suggest you don't, because there is number of tourists that have been robbed at knifepoint while they're sleeping in their cars, some were even attacked and lost their cars too. There are robbers in every country, but since this car robbery happened more than once, robbers know what the tourists want to do and they're waiting for them, so just be careful while you're out there.

Wow. This is definitely scary information. I had no idea that robbers would attack people sleeping in their car.

There is a problem in the US in certain cities where homeless people are vulnerable to attacks after dark, but since they usually don't have much to steal, they manage to escape without being hurt, in most cases.

Also, most people are warned in the US to avoid sleeping in your car after dark in parks or other places that are more dangerous.

Thanks so much for the heads up. It's always good to have any information that you might use at some point.
mrsRGD2012 Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 9:30:10 PM(UTC)
mrsRGD2012

Woman

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 53 post(s)
As always, it is highly advisable to be wise and alert whenever you travel to another country. If you think one country is always safe, it's not. Do not be too trustful of your surroundings when you don't fully know it.
FabioBrit Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 1:59:49 PM(UTC)
FabioBrit

Groups: Registered Users
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
To be robbed in the foreign country is normal and even if you think that this is not happening in USA, Europe and etc, then you are wrong. Such things happen and the tourists must be very careful during their tours.
However New Zaeland is one of my favorite places, as it is beautiful, green and really clean place with amazing nature.
Wanderer Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 5:48:22 PM(UTC)
Wanderer

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I am surprised to hear that especially when we talk about New Zealand. I thought that this country doesn't have crime problems at all. I guess people cannot be safe anywhere nowadays. We should always be cautious.
rzashida Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:37:48 AM(UTC)
rzashida

Groups: Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This sounds very unfortunate. Sleeping in your car can make you a target anywhere. You always want to be aware of your surroundings. It is rather bold for a criminal to rob people at knife point when they are in a car. Especially since that is a open invitation to get ran over.
James Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 7:02:46 AM(UTC)
James

Well it happened many times in our country but due to lack of protection from police and too many question when you report to Police stop us to make a complain and that's reason we have lowest crime rate. But fact that many area in our country have high crime rate specially outside of Auckland and some parts of Auckland like Otara, South Auckland and West Auckland.

My personal advice to all visitors, don't leave personal belongings in your car.
sweetnisha1 Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 10:07:13 AM(UTC)
sweetnisha1

My bag got stolen from a café in Auckland. In broad daylight. I put it down and then a few seconds later it was gone. Got to be careful here now also.
James Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 10:16:02 AM(UTC)
James

Was it in South Auckland or Auckland CBD? If it is in South Auckland and then I wouldn't be surprise about it as this area is famous for it and have highest crime rate in Auckland after Otara.
surfville Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:21:48 AM(UTC)
surfville

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In every place there would be robbers and crimes, its just a matter of how you secure yourself and have that vigilant attitude, because if you don't give that opportunity there will be no crime committed to you.
Robert87 Offline
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:37:54 PM(UTC)
Robert87

Why is it shocking that this happened in New Zealand. As far as I am aware, crime is everywhere. Perhaps some areas are better or worse for it. But I would never expect any place to be 100% crime free.

And yes... sleeping in your car makes you a target. That's kind of common sense. Or maybe it's common sense here in the states. I feel like if this were a news story in the states the person sleeping in their car would be ridiculed instead of supported.

If you are going to do something like that, anywhere, be a bit more aware. As others have mentioned, find camping lots where groups of people gather.
sweetnisha1 Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 10:57:16 AM(UTC)
sweetnisha1

James wrote:
Was it in South Auckland or Auckland CBD? If it is in South Auckland and then I wouldn't be surprise about it as this area is famous for it and have highest crime rate in Auckland after Otara.

It was in Kingsland
James Offline
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2014 8:57:39 AM(UTC)
James

sweetnisha1 wrote:
James wrote:

It was in Kingsland

Well it is one of good area of Auckland I wonder this things is going on in this area. I know about Sandringham Road area problems but wasn't believable that Kingsland have also same issue.
sweetnisha1 Offline
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:43:40 PM(UTC)
sweetnisha1

James wrote:
sweetnisha1 wrote:
James wrote:

It was in Kingsland

Well it is one of good area of Auckland I wonder this things is going on in this area. I know about Sandringham Road area problems but wasn't believable that Kingsland have also same issue.

and it was during the day about 11am